Linux vs FreeBSD clusters

Jan Schaumann jschauma at
Sat Nov 8 11:20:37 EST 2003

Mark Hahn <hahn at> wrote:
> > of SGE to NetBSD, too.  I hope to expand the awareness of NetBSD in
> > particular for cluster usage in the near future.
> why?

I believe that NetBSD, even though is a very, very clean and clear OS
with high-quality code, is much neglected.  It deserves more attention
and is perfectly suitable for the task at end.

>  I've never understood the evangelical aspect to *BSD (or for that
>  matter Debian).

Evangelical?  The entire Linux ``movement'' is based on such evangelism,
much more so than Free- or NetBSD.

> is there a tangible, measurable benefit?

Well, the same as mentioned in the FreeBSD paper, for example.  If all
my other machines are NetBSD machines, then having the cluster be NetBSD
makes administration an order of magnitude easier.

"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a
month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis."