Cheap PCs from Wal-Mart

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri May 30 08:31:30 EDT 2003

If you're "blessed" with a Fry's Electronics in your area, the $30 cases
are available.  So are the $400 cases...

If you're astute, Fry's usually has the toys to do the $200 computer
with only a time investment.  However, I agree with Jim: My time's worth
something, and I'm running out of grad students.  If we get the proposed
funding I'm looking at, I'll hire a couple of kids to play node acolyte,
but until then, it's not likely we're going to have spare cycles to
build and test hardware.

And tell me again, Why would I want to get a M$ license?  Especially on
my cluster?

As for the sales tax issue, if I don't present the appropriate
paperwork, Texas a sales tax collection from in-state vendors.  If I
don't provide the paperwork and tax is collected, the University will
extract that tax from ME(!) and not acknowledge the paperwork reduction
as cost-savings...

Gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173