Cheap PCs from Wal-Mart

Alvin Oga alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com
Fri May 30 00:14:12 EDT 2003

hi ya jim

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Jim Lux wrote:

> That's the deal with Walmart.. someone else (Microtel, in this case) has
> done the assembly and checkout.

sometimes its worth it to buy pre-assembled systems even if
one has inhouse staff

> As for Fry's... don't get me started..

i see you're familiar with "the fun of buying at Fries"  :-)

> just suffice it to say that major
> manufacturers (i.e. HP/Compaq/etc)  do not provide Fry's with original mfr
> shipping materials to replace packaging that gets dinged in transit. Most
> retail outlets get a supply of original mfr packaging so that they can
> deliver a "clean looking box" with the new computer, even if somebody in
> receiving spills a soda on the pallet on the loading dock (e.g.)

yes.. when buying from distributors... one does NOT get to return items
even if it's "slightly" broken ... thats part of the "we sell new
equipment at wholesale and no support" ... works out nicely .. usually...
	( know what it is you want .. manufacturer and precise model# )

yes, good for hp and all manufacturers to NOT receive parts back
after it left their doors... if you want their 3 year intel/amd warranty,
it should straight back to intel/amd ... and they can decide to send
a replacement ( new or used ) with the same original warranty period
	- it's not cheap too honour those warranty policies

	cpus are rated at     30,000 hrs MTBF ( ~ 5yrs )

	http://www.linux-1u.net/CPU/

	disks are rated at 1,000,000 hrs MTBF ( ~ 150 yrs )
	( must be a marketing based support/warranty plan ?? )

yes .. recycled parts ....  one just inherits someone elses pc that
didn't work right and also got returned only to be repackaged and
sent back out to another ...

> That was the default cheap ground shipping.. in my case, the mfr is
> reasonably local, so UPS ground will usually get here in 2 days.

hand delivery is good .... here's your boxes ... may i, please have the
check too, pretty please ... :-)

have fun
alvin