Network RAM revisited

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu May 29 13:23:11 EDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 12:43:52AM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
> > 2GB dimms reg ecc dimms seem to still be a factor of 8 or so more
> > expensive than 1gb dimms. but spending ~$13000 or so per node for memory
> > makes spending $600 for a mainboard and $400ea for cpu's seem like a
> > comparitvly minor part of the cost. even with niceish cases to protect
> > your expensive ram, and a blown out myrinet setup you could probably slip
> > in under 1.25-1.33x the cost of the ram.
>
> I wasn't talking about 1.33x the cost of expensive ram, the object was
> 1.2x the cost of reasonable ram.

yeah but what was reasonable ram costing when you targeted doing it with
alphas... if you put only 8GB in then then you have to buy twice as many
machines...

some off-the-cuff calaculations I did last night peg the price of a 64node
1TB dual opteron cluster at right around a million bucks... which looks
like kinda a fantastic deal, in light of how much it would have cost to do
that with ia64 three months ago.

joelja

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but