DSM solution?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Thu May 29 03:15:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 05:18:10PM -0700, Ryan Burns wrote:

>   I'm looking for a transparent DSM solution.

If you look around, you'll find 30+ projects that have produced DSM
with varying degrees of transparency. You'll find that performance is
quite low for a very transparent solution -- so it works OK only for
programs which are nearly embarrassingly parallel.

> Each thread/process needs to read shared memory from 1 specific
> thread/process which is part of the user application. So imagine I take a
> user application, that I know nothing about, fork it a few times onto
> other nodes, then each node needs to read memory from that original
> process.

If your user application wrote and read files (or named pipes) instead
of using shared memory, you could produce something probably much
higher in performance, with much less work.

-- greg