Buying a Beowulf Cluster (Help)

Andrew Wang andrewxwang at yahoo.com.tw
Sun May 25 04:17:14 EDT 2003

I just installed Gridengine on our newly installed
cluster, and got it running smoothly. If you have more
than serveral users sharing the cluster, a batch
system is essential.

Some people choose to use PBS, I suggest you use
PBSPro instead of OpenPBS. OpenPBS is free, but PBSPro
is much nicer, with better features. You may want to
apply several patches floating from OpenPBS Public
home. (Even with those, Gridengine or PBSPro is still
much nicer)

Gridengine:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/

OpenPBS:
http://www.openpbs.org/
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/openpbs/

If you run parallel code, you can take a look at
LAM-MPI:
http://www.lam-mpi.org

Andrew.

 --- Shashank Khanvilkar <shashank at evl.uic.edu>
的訊息:> Hi,
> We have already put an order for a beowulf cluster
> and it is scheduled to
> come soon. The only problem is that we are very
> in-experienced with such
> clusters and would really appreciate some help.
> There is a lot of
> documentation, and i have yet to start reading.
> WIll really appreciate if someone can point out
> ans's to the following
> questions: (I will be google'ing for it also).
>

> 1. Opinions on the OS to be installed on the
> cluster: We have decided on REd
> Hat 7.3, however suggestions are welcome. (We are
> not going for RH 8/9
> because of some known compiler (Intel and portland)
> problems.. If anyone has
> knowledge abt this, please let me know).
>
> 2. Any documentation on the software that needs to
> be installed (MPI, PVM,
> admin stuff etc) that will help us in the long run.
>
> 3. Any documentation on TO-DO's..or things that we
> need to check/do before
> working on the cluster.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Shashank