Buying a Beowulf Cluster (Help)

Shashank Khanvilkar shashank at evl.uic.edu
Sat May 24 15:29:08 EDT 2003

Hi,
We have already put an order for a beowulf cluster and it is scheduled to
come soon. The only problem is that we are very in-experienced with such
clusters and would really appreciate some help. There is a lot of
documentation, and i have yet to start reading.
WIll really appreciate if someone can point out ans's to the following
questions: (I will be google'ing for it also).

1. Opinions on the OS to be installed on the cluster: We have decided on REd
Hat 7.3, however suggestions are welcome. (We are not going for RH 8/9
because of some known compiler (Intel and portland) problems.. If anyone has
knowledge abt this, please let me know).

2. Any documentation on the software that needs to be installed (MPI, PVM,
admin stuff etc) that will help us in the long run.

3. Any documentation on TO-DO's..or things that we need to check/do before
working on the cluster.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shashank

http://mia.ece.uic.edu/~papers