Question on RHL 7.2, 8.0 and 9.0

Greg Lindahl lindahl at
Thu May 22 16:01:05 EDT 2003

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 12:47:11PM -0300, Sam Daniel wrote:
> There's a company out in Lodi, CA called CheapBytes (
> that sells a "workalike" version of RedHat called "Pink Tie". I ordered
> a set of version 9 CDs to compare against the RH9 I bought yesterday.
> According to CheapBytes, "Pink Tie 9.0 has been modified to comply with
> the Red Hat 9.0 EULA (End User License Agreement) regarding the use of
> the Red Hat Logo and Trademark and therefore is freely distributable."

The only thing that's different about Pink Tie is that the
redhat-logos package was replaced, and a few instances of the word
"RedHat" got changed. The main gotcha is that these days, when you do
an upgrade of RedHat, it looks at /etc/issue to confirm that you're
updating RedHat and not another distro of Linux. Well, Pink Tie
changes /etc/issue... so the installer don't show you upgrade as an

So, if you later upgrade, you need to add "upgradeany" when you boot.

-- greg