serial console system comparison

Nicholas Henke henken at
Thu Mar 27 15:22:35 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:54:14 -0600
Gary Stiehr <gary at> wrote:

> Hi,
> 	We have used the RAS2000 and have had no problems with it.  I
> 	can
> access the consoles of each of the connected systems. It was much more
> work to set up RedHat Linux to use a serial console than it was to set
> up the RAS2000.  If you do go with RAS2000, don't forget to read the
> "Tipmenu Release Notes" which will be one of the most helpful of the
> documents.  I have not had the opportunity to work with any other
> serial console systems, however, so I don't know how they compare.  I
> hope this helps.

We have both the Cyclades and the Equinox -- as long as both are setup
to use reverse tcp and the conserver package ( in xcat, as well as
standalone ), either works extremely well. We have not had experience
with the cyclades tech support, ( yet ... ), but they have large shoes
to fill to meet Equinox.

Nicholas Henke
Penguin Herder & Linux Cluster System Programmer
Liniac Project - Univ. of Pennsylvania