sun grid engine?

Jim Phillips jim at
Thu Mar 27 15:13:26 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 hanzl at wrote:

> PBS is older than SGE (and yes, PBS did many good things, no doubt)
> and everybody knew PBS when opensource SGE was born. And many people

I would argue the SGE is actually older than PBS.

SGE traces it's roots back to the venerable (and free) DQS, commercialized
as Codine and bought by Sun to create SGE.  From what I've read about SGE,
it is very similar to DQS.  DQS has been running stably for us (with some
quirks) for years now, and I haven't found a reason to change yet.

For a little history, see and