Google's cluster

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman bropers at
Mon Mar 17 10:05:16 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> I wish I had just as accomodating a governor handy...;-)

Keep in mind that this was the first major infusion of funds specifically for
technology ... well, ... ever! There is no precedent for this in Louisiana. I
am not certain what motivated this, but I'm not going to complain.

> I could probably even manage to work a bit of science in between tuning
> the sucker up for linpack...:-)

I do need to point out that the machine is being used. Not as heavily as it
could be, if it were purchased as a dedicated cluster rather than a general
cluster, but it does fit in with our philosophy of providing the most
computing resources to the most people on campus.

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman                        (225) 578-0461 (V)
Systems Administrator                 AIX      (225) 578-6400 (F)
Office of Computing Services       GNU Linux   brian at
High Performance Computing            .^.
Fred Frey Building, Rm. 201, E-1Q     /V\                          \o/
Louisiana State University           (/ \)           --  __o   /    |
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-1900           (   )          --- `\<,  /    `\\,