Hard link /etc/passwd

William Dieter dieter at engr.uky.edu
Mon Jun 30 17:15:21 EDT 2003

You have to be careful when doing maintenance.  For example, if you do:

mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.bak
cp /etc/passwd.bak /etc/passwd

all of the copies will be linked to the backup copy.  Normally you
might not do this, but some text editors sometimes do similar things
silently...

A symbolic link might be safer.

Bill.