interconnect latency, disected.

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Sun Jun 29 15:25:33 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 12:37:45PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> 	- I haven't found any recent studies on where even 25 us of
> 	GBE latency comes from.

store-and-forward swithes? It's entertaining to measure back-to-back
latency, but not very realistic.

> 	- are there current/active efforts to use something other than
> 	TCP for implementing the usual MPI primitives?  I'd love to see
> 	something that used ethernet's broad/multicast support, for instance.

GAMMA and MVIA don't use TCP, but I don't think either has that. What
kind of savings do you expect, given the mismatch between unreliable
broadcast & multicast and MPI's semantics? I see a lot more enthusiasm
for such features from people who haven't looked at the details...

greg