Intel PRO/1000CT Gigabit ethernet with CSA

Daniel Pfenniger daniel.pfenniger at obs.unige.ch
Fri Jun 27 15:52:51 EDT 2003

Patrick Geoffray wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 13:46, Daniel Pfenniger wrote:

>>The exact costs are presently not well fixed because several companies
>>enter the market.  The nice thing about IB is that it is an open
>>standard, the components from different companies are compatible,
>>which is good for pressing costs down.
>

> With the slicon coming from one company (actually 2 but the second one
> does only switch chip), the price adjustment would mainly affect the
> reseller, where the margin are not that high. I don't expect much a
> price war in the Infiniband market, mainly because many IB shops are
> already just burning (limited) VC cash.
> The main point for price advantage of IB is if the volume goes up. It's
> a very different problem that the multiple-vendors-marketing-stuff. One
> can argue that HPC does not yield such high volumes, only a business
> market like the Databases one does.
>
> Remember Gigabit Ethernet. It was very expensive when the early adopters
> were the HPC crowd and the price didn't drop until it made its way to
> the desktop. It's the case for 10GE today.
>
> Patrick
 >
 > Patrick Geoffray
 > Myricom, Inc.

Yes I mostly agree with your analysis, database is the only significant
potential market for IB.

However the problem with 1GBE or 10GBE is that the latency remains poor
for HPC applications, while IB goes in the right direction.
The real comparison to be made is not between GE and IB, but between
IB and Myricom products, which belong to an especially protected niche.
As a result for years the Myrinet products did hardly drop in price
for a sub-Moore's-law increase in performance, because of a lack of
competition (the price we paid for our Myricom cards and switch
18 months ago is today *exactly* the same).
Now IB at least introduces a healthy stimulation for this low latency
HPC sector.

	Daniel