Intel PRO/1000CT Gigabit ethernet with CSA

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Fri Jun 27 15:00:36 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 13:46, Daniel Pfenniger wrote:

> The exact costs are presently not well fixed because several companies
> enter the market.  The nice thing about IB is that it is an open
> standard, the components from different companies are compatible,
> which is good for pressing costs down.

With the slicon coming from one company (actually 2 but the second one
does only switch chip), the price adjustment would mainly affect the
reseller, where the margin are not that high. I don't expect much a
price war in the Infiniband market, mainly because many IB shops are
already just burning (limited) VC cash.
The main point for price advantage of IB is if the volume goes up. It's
a very different problem that the multiple-vendors-marketing-stuff. One
can argue that HPC does not yield such high volumes, only a business
market like the Databases one does.

Remember Gigabit Ethernet. It was very expensive when the early adopters
were the HPC crowd and the price didn't drop until it made its way to
the desktop. It's the case for 10GE today.

Patrick
--

Patrick Geoffray
Myricom, Inc.