3Com 905C and ASUS P4GX8

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Thu Jun 26 03:08:36 EDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I installed Linux RH 7.3 on a Dual 3GHz P4 CPU Asus P4GX8 MB
> and since the on board 100 MBit controller didn't seem to be
> supported by this Linux version (doubt whether any version does
> in the moment)

The Scyld distribution ships with our driver package, and almost
certainly supports the card.  But your problem is likely a configuration
issue, not a driver failure.

> I'm seeing this in /var/log/messages and the machine
> is very slow on network copies and activity.

What is the detection message?

>  eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.

Read  http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
Specifically the section that says
   0x82  Out of window collision.  This typically occurs when
   some other Ethernet host is incorrectly set to full duplex on a half duplex
   network.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993