Intel PRO/1000CT Gigabit ethernet with CSA

Daniel Pfenniger daniel.pfenniger at obs.unige.ch
Fri Jun 27 02:54:33 EDT 2003

Hi,

For a small experimental cluster (24 dual Xeon nodes)
we decided to use InfiniBand technology, which from specs is
4 times faster (8Gb/s), 1.5 lower latency (~5musec) than
Myrinet for approximately the same cost/port.

Our estimate is that with current 3GHz class processors
one needs larger bandwith and lower latency than 2xGigaEthernet
in order to make efficient use of the rest of the hardware,
this for typical MPI type runs.

Of course there exist always sufficiently coarse grained parallel
applications for which GigaEthernet would be the good choice.

At the moment there are very few >32 port fat-tree switches
for InfiniBand, but 96-128 port swicthes should be available
in the next months.

	Dan