Off topic - G5 question

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jun 26 10:04:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Luis Fernando Licon Padilla wrote:

> Hi you all guys, I've just checked the G5 processor out, what do you
> think about it, it seems like it's not good enough considering it's
> architecture and it's performance.
>
> http://www.apple.com/lae/g5

Looks great (if you believe their white papers) if you're planning to
run BLAST.  Doesn't look horribly shabby at floating point performance
overall, has a nice peppy FSB.  I certainly wouldn't kick it out of my
system room for chewing crackers.  So to speak.  Although I believe that
it requires some fairly careful programming to get maximum speed out of
the CPU and would be very curious about real-world benchmarks for code
that is just slapped on it and compiled, no tuning or hand
vectorization.

However, the traditional litany requires that one examine price as well
as raw performance, and comparing it to P4 (really P6) class CPUs is
apples to oranges.  A more interesting and fair comparison would be to
opterons and itaniums, and including price.

   rgb

> Cheerz,
>

> Luis

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu