Opteron (x86-64) compute farms/clusters?

phblai philippe.blaise at cea.fr
Wed Jun 25 05:28:26 EDT 2003

Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:

>According to Thomas Alrutz
>

>>I just made some benchmarks on a Opteron 240 (1.4 GHz) node running with
>>Suse/United Linux Enterprise edition.
>>I have sucessfully compiled mpich-1.2.4 in 64 bit without any problems
>>(./configure -device=ch_p4 -commtype=shared). The default compiler is
>>the gcc-3.2.2 (maybe a Suse patch) and is set to 64Bit, the Portland
>>(5.0beta) compiler didn't worked at all !
>>
>>I tried our CFD-code (TAU) to run 3 aerodynamik configurations on this
>>machine with both CPUs and the results are better then estimated.
>>We achieved in full multigrid (5 cycles, 1 equation turbulence model) a
>>efficiency of about 97%, 92% and 101 % for the second CPU.
>>Those results are much better as the results we get on the Intel Xeons
>>(around 50%).
>>

>   It looks that this results are predictable: Xeon CPUs require high
>memory bandwidth, but both CPUs share common system bus. Opteron CPUs
>have own memory buses and scale in this sense excellent. Better SPECrate
>results for Opteron (i.e. work on a mix of tasks) confirm (in particular)
>this features. CFD codes, I beleive, require high memory throughput ...
>
>Mikhail Kuzminsky
>Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
>Moscow

the 4 cpus (ccNUMA) AMD Opteron scales very well (each cpu has its own
memory with a 5.3 GB/s bandwith access),
compare to the (SMP) Intel / Itanium2 equivalent (I870 chipset), where
the 4 cpus share a common 6.4GB/s memory access.
The 4 cpus Opteron is cheap, but the Itanium2 can perform quite better
on some benchs (the 3MB L3 cache
has a 32 GB/s bandwith !).

In fact, the AMD Opteron architecture is very close to the
HP/Compaq/Digital EV7 Marvel one,
that scales very well to 32 cpus (maybe 64 ?). But I don' know if AMD
plans to make machines
with more than 8 cpus ?

   Philippe Blaise