[OT] Omega Nomad OM-44

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jun 25 11:56:13 EDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Dale Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 06:14:06PM -0400, Mark Hahn elucidated:
> > > http://www.picotech.com
> >
> > www.ibutton.com.
> >

> grr.. wish I had known about those before buying the Nomad.

Both of these are now on the brahma resources page, along with a third
vendor's thermal sensor link.

> (/me slaps forhead)

You shouldn't feel too bad.  It actually has taken years for there to be
an acceptable crop of low-cost offerings in this arena.  For a while
there, one had to either DIY or use something as expensive as a Netbotz
in order to get online environmental monitoring -- there was only one
cheap device that would work in Linux and the tiny company that
made/resold it bellied up.

At least now there is choice, and the choices are all <$200!  For an
extra $100 or so, you can add a PC-TV card and an X10 and build yourself
a netbotz out of any system with a bit of attention to spare for
polling, or buy one of the legendary wal-mart specials and build a
complete net monitoring appliance with video, thermal, humidity, door
monitoring for <$600.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu