[OT] Omega Nomad OM-44

nixon at nsc.liu.se nixon at nsc.liu.se
Tue Jun 24 15:39:30 EDT 2003

Luc Vereecken <Luc.Vereecken at chem.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

> A nice alternative are the devices by picotech
> http://www.picotech.com
> which are supported under linux and windows with drivers and logging
> software. They have a  linux driver that one can access easily through
> shared memory (C-example program can be downloaded). I use it to monitor
> the temperature in my computer room, log it, do temperature-related
> shutdowns, etc. all based on very simple perl scripts (I use the TH-03 with
> 3 thermistor-based temperature measurement channels for air-inlet, ambient
> air, and air-outlet). Nice equipment, works very well.

I second that. I have a TH-03 and a RH-02 in our computer room, which have
saved us a couple of times when the campus cooling system went down.

And since the serial protocol is documented you can easily replace the
supplied driver with your own. I've written a little Python daemon
that polls the units and makes the measurements available via XMLRPC,
which fits our monitoring setup nicely.

--
Leif Nixon                                    Systems expert
National Supercomputer Centre           Linkoping University