[OT] Maximum performance on single processor ?

Simon Hogg seth at hogg.org
Sat Jun 21 06:23:46 EDT 2003

At 17:19 20/06/03 -0700, John Bushnell wrote:
>   Looking at some of the info on the Riken site who evidently makes
>these GRAPE cards, this sound like a good bet if pairwise energy
>calculations are really where most of the speedup is needed.  They
>give a peak performance for the 4-cpu GRAPE-2 as 64GFLOPS (ouch).

http://www.research.ibm.com/grape/

I hadn't heard of these either, but a quote from the IBM site;  "These
chips will be combined with other special chips at RIKEN later this year to
make a Molecular Dynamics Machine, which will run at a whopping 100
Teraflops speed, the fastest for any computer in the world."

There seems to be a fair bit of marketing speak at that site as well :-)

--
Simon