[OT] Maximum performance on single processor ?

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Fri Jun 20 12:09:54 EDT 2003

With regards to your message:
>From: Marc Baaden <baaden at smplinux.de>

<<<snip>>>

>So my question was more, what is the fastest CPU I can get for $20000
>at the moment (without explicitly parallelizing, hyperthreading or
>vectorizing my code).

I believe the answer is an Opteron.
Of course that much money will buy quite a lot of CPUs!

With the memory bandwidth, floating point engine, and Hypertransport links
on these, they are VERY fast for this type of thing.
If you want access to a machine to run some code samples on, please contact
me off-list and we can arrange some time for you on a machine.
We have test/demo dual Opteron servers in place, available over SSH
connections, for exactly this purpose.
They are set up with compilers, libraries and tools suitable for this use.

Thanks!

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3