cluster of AMD Opteron

Daniel Kidger Daniel.Kidger at quadrics.com
Fri Jun 20 10:02:44 EDT 2003

From: Mikhail Kuzminsky [mailto:kus at free.net]
>> Is somebody who is using AMD opterons yet ?
>  We tested 2-way SMP server based on RioWorks mobo. But I should
>not recommend this motherboard for using: by default it has no
>monitoring (temperature etc) chips on the board, it's necessary
>to buy special additional card ! Unfortunately as a result I don't
>have data about lm_sensors work. Moreover, the choice of SMP
>boards is very restricted now: Tyan S2880 and MSI K8D.

We have a small cluster of Newisys 2100 dual-Opteron 1U-nodes.

our NDA prevents me from going into much praise, but I can say that they
*do* have execellent environemental monitoring of just about everythinbg on
the Mobo. You can even get a live output of the current power consumption
:-) (which of course relates to another long running thread on the beowulf
list).

Yours,
Daniel.

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505