[OT] Maximum performance on single processor ?

Simon Hogg seth at hogg.org
Fri Jun 20 09:15:47 EDT 2003

At 14:44 20/06/03 +0200, Marc Baaden wrote:
>I have an existing application which is part of a project. I have
>the source code. It is Fortran. It *can* be parallelized, but we
>would rather spend our time on the other parts of the project
>which need to be written from scratch *first*.
>
>The application is to run in real time, that is the user does something
>and as a function of user input and the calculation with the fortran
>program that I described, there is a correponding feedback to the
>user on the screen (and in some Virtual Reality equipment).
>
>Right now, even on simple test cases, the "response time" (eg calculation
>time for a single step) of our program is on the order of the second.
>(this is for an athlon MP 2600+)
>We need to get that down to a fraction of seconds, best milli-seconds,
>in order to be usable in real time. (makes it a factor of roughly 1000)
>
>As I said the code can indeed be parallelized - maybe even simply cleaned
>up in some parts - but unfortunately there remains very much other important
>stuff to do. So we'd rather spend some money on a really fast CPU and not
>touch the code at the moment.
>
>So my question was more, what is the fastest CPU I can get for $20000
>at the moment (without explicitly parallelizing, hyperthreading or
>vectorizing my code).

I'm sure some other people will give 'better' answers, but from having a
look at your web pages, I would be tempted to go down the route of
second-hand SGI equipment.

For example (and no, I don't know how the performance stacks up, I'm
looking partly at a general bio-informatics / SGI link if that makes sense)
I can see for sale an Origin 2000 Quad 500MHz / 4GB RAM for UKP 15,725.

Just another suggestion to add to the pile.

--
Simon