[OT] Maximum performance on single processor ?

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Fri Jun 20 07:03:16 EDT 2003

> I am sorry if this query is slightly off-topic for the list.
> But I guess that many people here have also experiences with
> respect to my enquiry.
>
> We are looking for the highest performance machine on single
> (or very few, let's say 4) processors, because we need to run
> unparallelized and/or poorly parallelized code.
>
> Our budget is of roughly 20000 $, and a linux/beowulf platform
> would be ideal.
>
> The current top Intel x86 or AMD processors are too slow, and we
> do not have access to other architectures.

Being mischevous, $20000 would probably buy you the cabinet for a
http://www.sgi.com/servers/altix/

Seriously though, people on the list will ask for more information on your
application.
You say 'too slow' - exaclty what do you mean by this?
If it is (say) an application like gene sequence matching, which takes a
long time
to match against databases, then you may be unable to speed up individual
runs.
But what you CAN do, and what will probably make your researchers happy, is
have a high throughput - so you get good utilisation of your machines, and
results coming
through the pipeline.

The list really needs some specifics though - and some timings on the
processors
you have tried.