[OT] Maximum performance on single processor ?

Marc Baaden baaden at smplinux.de
Fri Jun 20 08:44:05 EDT 2003

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I realize (and some
of you mentioned it) that you need more information to understand
better what I am looking for.

I have an existing application which is part of a project. I have
the source code. It is Fortran. It *can* be parallelized, but we
would rather spend our time on the other parts of the project
which need to be written from scratch *first*.

The application is to run in real time, that is the user does something
and as a function of user input and the calculation with the fortran
program that I described, there is a correponding feedback to the
user on the screen (and in some Virtual Reality equipment).

Right now, even on simple test cases, the "response time" (eg calculation
time for a single step) of our program is on the order of the second.
(this is for an athlon MP 2600+)
We need to get that down to a fraction of seconds, best milli-seconds,
in order to be usable in real time. (makes it a factor of roughly 1000)

As I said the code can indeed be parallelized - maybe even simply cleaned
up in some parts - but unfortunately there remains very much other important
stuff to do. So we'd rather spend some money on a really fast CPU and not
touch the code at the moment.

So my question was more, what is the fastest CPU I can get for $20000
at the moment (without explicitly parallelizing, hyperthreading or
vectorizing my code).

Cheers,
  Marc Baaden

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
 mailto:baaden at smplinux.de      -      http://www.marc-baaden.de