Network Booting

Russell Nordquist nordquist at geosci.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 19 16:35:49 EDT 2003

rgb mentioned kickstart and FAI. Also worth looking into is systemimager.
it works quite well for relatively homogeneous machines and is distro
agnostic. It is quite easy to use this with dhcp/pxe to clone/update
machines.

http://www.systemimager.org

russell

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 at 14:43, torsten wrote:

> >> 7. Does the  Linux Terminal Server  Project (LTSP) have  anything useful
> >> that I could/should be using?
> >
> >See answer to 6.  Conceivably, but it depends on what you're trying to
> >do.  So what are you trying to do?
>

> Thank you for the very complete answers.  This solves a number of concerns
> I have run into.
>
> I am trying setup a cluster to run MPICH.  Some of the PC's are
> headed workstations, the rest will be headless (for MPICH only).
>
> While we have manually (via CD-ROM) setup the workstations, I want to
> automate the addition and maintenance of headless PC's.
>
> I am trying to use DHCP with PXE booting to boot the PC's.  Any advice
> toward this general direction, I am grateful for.
>
> Torsten

Russell Nordquist
UNIX Systems Administrator
Geophysical Sciences Computing