F95/F90 compilers

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Thu Jun 19 16:53:22 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 14:26, Josip Loncaric wrote:
> Glen Kaukola wrote:
> > Arthur H. Edwards wrote:
> >
> >> I'm about to purchase a F95 compiler for a beowulf running Debian with
> >> mpich. I'm obviously looking for performance. I'm also looking for a
> >> compiler that doesn't choke or create garbage.
> >>

> > The Fortran compiler from Intel is free, as long as you're not going to
> > be producing any commercial applications with it I think.  And our
> > experience with it, is that even on an AMD processor the code that it
> > produces runs faster than the code produced by our portland group compiler.
>
> Agreed -- but at my old institute, we had pretty good luck with the
> Portland Group Fortran.  Intel's Fortran can be faster, but
> unfortunately, it sometimes generates incorrect code.  Some ifc 7.0
> versions incorrectly handled equivalence statements -- which are
> liberally used in many old Fortran packages.  I'm not sure if this has
> been completely fixed even in the latest ifc 7.1 versions.

And at times the Portland Group Fortran generates incorrect code
as well.  PG has a much longer history in high performance computing
so they better support some features that users are used to having.
Intel is trying to play catch up.  They are doing a good job.  I
try and keep both compilers around just in case I have a problem with
one or the other.

Craig

Craig Tierney <ctierney at hpti.com>