power supplies

Andrew Latham lathama at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 00:46:50 EDT 2003

"... cray-ish couch ..."
Now this was what I was thinking about :-)

I understand the powerloss. However the heat produced by 9 AT powersupplies by
using ~20 watts each is more than they are worth. I think that there is a more
efficient method. Considering a cable run of 3 ft. a center 4U chasis with a
sizable powersupply could carry nearly a full rack. These are ruff estimites
mind you. Does this seem to be pos. or is the 48V method going to win. I would
prefer to wire it myself and I found a great place for rackmount goodies
(mouser.com)

--- Mark Hahn <hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> > If you carry 3.3volts for any significant distance you'll have a
> > substantial voltage drop the ammount of courrent you can will quickly
> > result in larger conductors...
>
> I have this remarkable image in my mind of 20 or so lovely EATX
> dual-opteron motherboards arranged radially like fins around
> a couple of heavy-gauge copper cables running vertically through
> a cylindrical rack, with a monster fan at the bottom.  it would
> be lovely, and perhaps even worthy of a cray-ish couch around it ;)
>
> heck, such an arrangement could even cut down on that murderous
> time-of-flight component in gigabit ethernet performance :)

=====
Andrew Latham
LathamA.com
lathama at lathama.com