Beowulf in Enterprise Environments

Karl Podesta kpodesta at redbrick.dcu.ie
Thu Jun 19 07:20:49 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:05:59PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> You mean the part of the README where network mode is described?  As in:
> - SNIP -
> Sounds like integrated, embarrassingly parallel operation to me...
>
> Works that way too, back when I used to run crack on passwd files;-)
>
>    rgb

The author seems to be talking about parallelising the actual crypt()
algorithm, to do a single crack accross many CPUs, and maintains it's
like 9 women trying to produce 1 baby in 1 month :-)

So perhaps a bit of mis-information on his side about parallelising
operations? When he could simply run multiple instances of crack accross
a network like you describe, a good oul bit of data/domain decomposition,
maybe put an MPI wrapper round it to collate results or nicey it up
for running it from a head node accross a cluster - that's maybe what
people were requesting from him and he mis-understood.

Kp
--
Karl Podesta
Dublin City University, Ireland