power supplies

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Wed Jun 18 22:19:37 EDT 2003

> If you carry 3.3volts for any significant distance you'll have a
> substantial voltage drop the ammount of courrent you can will quickly
> result in larger conductors...

I have this remarkable image in my mind of 20 or so lovely EATX
dual-opteron motherboards arranged radially like fins around
a couple of heavy-gauge copper cables running vertically through
a cylindrical rack, with a monster fan at the bottom.  it would
be lovely, and perhaps even worthy of a cray-ish couch around it ;)

heck, such an arrangement could even cut down on that murderous
time-of-flight component in gigabit ethernet performance :)