Beowulf in Enterprise Environments

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jun 18 21:05:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Matt Phillips wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> >crack (the venerable Unix password cracking program) can be run
> >embarrassingly parallel over a network and in fact has been programmed
> >to do so on request for a rather long time now.
>
> Sounds reasonable that it can be made embarrassingly parallel. However, its
> creator Alec Muffett continue s to deny that it can/should be parallelized.
>
> http://www.crypticide.org/users/alecm/security/c50-faq.html (Micsellany
> section Q 5&6 )

You mean the part of the README where network mode is described?  As in:
%< Snip ==============
* conf/network.conf

     This is the file used to configure Crack for network running; this file
     contains lines, each of which has several fields:

         host:relpow:nfsbool:rshuser:crackdir

     Where:

        o host
          This is the name of the host to which Crack should "rsh", in order
          to despatch a job. There can be several instances of the same
          hostname in the file, if desired, in order to dispatch more than
          one job to a given host (if it has more than one CPU, for
          instance).

Sounds like integrated, embarrassingly parallel operation to me...

Works that way too, back when I used to run crack on passwd files;-)

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu