SMP CPUs scaling factors (was "what is a flop")

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jun 18 09:38:46 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Franz Marini wrote:

> Does anyone have some real world application figures regarding the
> performance ratio between single and two-way (and maybe four-way) SMP
> systems based on the P4 Xeon processor ? I'm particularly interested in
> molecular dynamics code, like, e.g., Gromacs and CPMD.

If CHARMM figures are also valid:
- when running 2 single-CPU jobs on a 2-way system, real (wall) time of
each process is the same as if the process was running alone.
- when running a parallel job with shmem/usysv the speed-up is close to 2
(1.98 or so).

This is with "normal" MD. Using PME might make things different...

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868