Rack or Cabinet

Steve_L_Smith at dell.com Steve_L_Smith at dell.com
Wed Jun 18 08:34:29 EDT 2003

Hi Alvin

Our systems are designed for a maximum inlet temperature of 35C, and a front
to back rise of up to 5C - this is pretty extreme. Normally (good airflow
through the system, not too many cables and a system that is not running at
max - full of disks and memory and really working hard!) we'd expect a 2C
rise, so your 28C in a 25C inlet room is about right. The other thing I
didn't mention is that in a full rack (e.g. 42 x 2P Xeon systems) you would
expect to see up to 11C rise in temperature from the bottom of the rack to
the top - again extreme but worth bearing in mind when deploying full racks
of hot boxes.

Not sure I'd recommend people cutting big holes for the fans - unless it
isn't a Dell of course:-)

Cheers

Steve