Rack or Cabinet

Alvin Oga alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com
Wed Jun 18 06:53:47 EDT 2003

hi ya steve

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 Steve_L_Smith at dell.com wrote:

> Trent
>
> You should take the advice of the system vendor. At Dell (this is not an
> advert:-) we design our systems (as do all tier 1s) for mounting in enclosed
> racks (including side panels and doors). This is to ensure correct cooling.
> Running something like a Dell PowerEdge 1750 1U DP Xeon in an open cabinet
> is definitely not recommended. The systems are designed to have front to

for the dual xeons or dual-p4s,
what do your normal temperatures run at say using normal 25C or normal 50F
computer room temps ???

> back cooling, allowing air to circulate randomly around the sides and tops
> upsets this airflow and will cause the heat within the server to rise,
> possibly leading to over-temperature situations. And if you do not fill a
> complete rack, you should also use blanking panels to maintain the airflow -
> also note that this also applies to e.g. a Myrinet switch - you should use
> blanking panels if you do not fully populate the switch chassis.

and if the air in the chassis is meant to go side to side ... the cabinet
airflow should also be doing the same ...

> Unfortunately noise is not something that we can do much about at the moment
> - putting hot processors in small spaces means we need big/fast (hence
> somewhat noisy) fans to push the air out of our box into your room!

you can cut some noice by making bigger holes for fans instead of small
holes ...  holes as big as the diameter of the fan blades .. less
interference from the air flow squeezing thru/pass the obstacle

but than again, that's not possible/realistic for making 12" diameter
holes if one is using 12" vent fans

i have a p4-2.0G running at 28C ... am nicely cool and happy...
in normal 25C room temp ... w/ normal fans (noisy) in a 1U mini-itx box..
	-- am thinking the bios sensor must be whacky, but the
	air is in fact cool as is the heatsinks ... and its
	happily calculating away

have fun
alvin