Rack or Cabinet

Steve_L_Smith at dell.com Steve_L_Smith at dell.com
Wed Jun 18 06:27:58 EDT 2003

Trent

You should take the advice of the system vendor. At Dell (this is not an
advert:-) we design our systems (as do all tier 1s) for mounting in enclosed
racks (including side panels and doors). This is to ensure correct cooling.
Running something like a Dell PowerEdge 1750 1U DP Xeon in an open cabinet
is definitely not recommended. The systems are designed to have front to
back cooling, allowing air to circulate randomly around the sides and tops
upsets this airflow and will cause the heat within the server to rise,
possibly leading to over-temperature situations. And if you do not fill a
complete rack, you should also use blanking panels to maintain the airflow -
also note that this also applies to e.g. a Myrinet switch - you should use
blanking panels if you do not fully populate the switch chassis.

Unfortunately noise is not something that we can do much about at the moment
- putting hot processors in small spaces means we need big/fast (hence
somewhat noisy) fans to push the air out of our box into your room!

Hope this helps

Steve

Steve Smith
HPC Business Manager
Dell EMEA
Dell Campus, Cain Road, Bracknell, RG12 1FA, UK
Direct: +44 1344 372037
Switchboard: +44 1344 812000
Fax: +44 1344 372359
Mobile: +44 7802 594874