what is a flop

Saurav Gohain way2saurav at rediffmail.com
Tue Jun 17 06:32:17 EDT 2003

Dear Sir/Friends
I am new to cluster and hence asking this question ( may be a silly one for u all).
In super computers and cluster, I find Peak Performance rated as TFLOPs, GFLOP's etc.
Now, the question is what is a flop.

From a beowulf pdf tutorial, i came to know that it is calculated as
Total Peak Performance= No of Nodes * No of CPU's * Floating point operations per second * No of Cycles per second.

Although, the first two and the last is easily derivable, what about the third one.
I checked the specs of Opetron and P4 but there's isn't any mention about the Flops.

How will i derive then ?

In a comparison graph in Intel's website, I found a term SPEC*fp2000 ratings.
Now this ratings are like 2.4 , 3.4 etc.
Is it the number that I should input in the above formula to calculate the total peak performance in flops about a cluster.

Kindly let me know the facts...
Regards,
Saurav