Beowulf in Enterprise Environments

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Tue Jun 17 06:51:24 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <phil.neumiller at convergys.com>
To: <beowulf at beowulf.org>
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 10:49 PM
Subject: Beowulf in Enterprise Environments

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody on the list know of folks using Beowulf clusters in what
might
> be called
> traditional IT or Enterprise environments?  Why/Why not?
>
> What about in cryptographic acceleration environments?   Why/Why not?
> Perhaps for
> stuff even as benign as SSL/TLS/IPsec terminations???

Depends what you mean by Beowulf of course :-)

If we expand the definition to include Clusters of Workstations, or batch
farms,
then yes. People like car manufacturers, aerospace companies running
simulations.
Render farms for movie production. I guess financial institutions running
 Monte Carlos also.

The Beowulf list however will (quite rightly) set the definition tighter, to
mean
a parallell cluster using MPI or PVM, and commodity hardware.
Then I admit not to have much knowledge of uses in the Enterprise.