ideal motherboard for diskless beowulf

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Tue Jun 17 04:41:47 EDT 2003

> > The micro-atx form factor is of interest because "I
> > was given the challenge..." of putting as many
> > motherboards in one customized full tower box as
> > possible. Dual/Quad CPU motherboards are not an
> > option, while due to portability issues, racks are out
> > of the question.

Kostas, you don't tell us your background.
Are you a student or research fellow in one of the UK universities maybe?
Which experiment are you working on?

As I say, I did my PhD on ALEPH and have worked at CERN.
I played around with ideas of putting lots of CPUs in a tower case last
year. The discussion is on the Bewoulf list I think - the problem with that
the
little CPU boards were more expensive.
I think that this configuration would be instructive to build, and would
have a lot of applications.

The boards I'm thinking of  fit in a drive bay,
and use power from a standard disk drive connector.