Beowulf for MAC OSX

Karl Podesta kpodesta at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon Jun 16 13:04:10 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 04:48:53PM +0530, Dwarkanath wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I wish to know, whether Beowulf supports MAC OS X. If yes, can i know the
> details/pre-requisites/steps to accomplish the same.
>
> Thanking you in advance,
>
> Dwarkanath MB

If you have machines which run OS X, then you could make a beowulf
out of them. You just have to connect the machines together into
a network, and then install the software you want to run (MPI/PVM, etc).

Connecting the machines together should not be a problem - installing
the software is where the bulk of your work is. You will need to
compile MPI, PVM, or whatever software you want to run.

There seems to be a short guide here:
http://www.stat.ucla.edu/computing/clusters/deployment.php

And you could also check out www.bioteam.net for a look at the
Apple clusters they've put together, and the bioinformatics software
they have available for Mac OS X.

This is simplifying things, and assumes you just have a few spare Macs
you want to use! If you're looking for a cluster to accomplish a
specific task, obviously you need to think about your application,
money you have to spare, etc.

Kp
--
Karl Podesta