Opteron Large Memory Compilers?

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Sat Jun 14 13:05:34 EDT 2003

>From: "Chris Oubre" <chris_oubre at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Opteron Large Memory Compilers?
>Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:17:01 -0500
>
>Hello,
>      We are looking into the feasibility of using Opterons in on
>cluster.  One major issue we had when we benchmarked on them was the
>lack of large memory support in the compilers we used.  We tried to run
>large memory jobs on an Opteron using the Portland Compilers and found
>that it would not compile jobs larger than 2 Gigs.  We contacted the
>Portland Group and they responded that it was a know bug.  We haven't
>tried again in a while and we were wondering if anyone knows if this has
>been fixed?
I suggest you try GCC. It is not saddled with this problem, and in our
tests generally quite a bit better than PGI in performance.

You also want to grab the Core Math Library from AMD:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_2282,00.html

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3