Large File Support for RedHat Linux 8.0 Kernal 2.4.18-14

Donald Becker becker at
Sat Jun 14 06:25:55 EDT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Glen Kaukola wrote:

> Steve Elliot wrote:
> >Our RedHat 8.0 doesn't seem to support Large file
> >system out of the box. We have a testing program
> >running on an ext3 file system, with both
> >the lseek() function failed when the file pointer goes
> >beyound 2G. What's the steps to turn the large file
> >support on? and how do I know it is on?
> >
> We had a similar problem, and it turned to be tcsh.  tcsh doesn't
> support files over 2GB it seems, so we ended up having to convert all of
> our scripts over to bash.

Use bash version 2.0 or later.  Version 1 had LFS problems, some
surprising.  In some cases you couldn't pipe ("|") or redirect more than
2GB of data.

You'll also want to verify your specific 'perl' binary, which is used
like a shell.

Other places we had to make modifications were the FTP servers and
clients, most of which do not have LFS.

Donald Becker				becker at
Scyld Computing Corporation
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993