Large File Support for RedHat Linux 8.0 Kernal 2.4.18-14

Brian Macy brian at
Fri Jun 13 23:39:07 EDT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Glen Kaukola wrote:

> Steve Elliot wrote:
> >Our RedHat 8.0 doesn't seem to support Large file
> >system out of the box. We have a testing program
> >running on an ext3 file system, with both
> >the lseek() function failed when the file pointer goes
> >beyound 2G. What's the steps to turn the large file
> >support on? and how do I know it is on?
> >
> We had a similar problem, and it turned to be tcsh.  tcsh doesn't
> support files over 2GB it seems, so we ended up having to convert all of
> our scripts over to bash.
> Glen

The other thing you need to check is that you're using an off_t type
variable for the offset argument to lseek.  If you're using an int or a
long, you'll still have the 32-bit restriction.

Brian Macy
bcmacy at