Large File Support for RedHat Linux 8.0 Kernal 2.4.18-14

Joseph Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Jun 13 20:50:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 18:38, Glen Kaukola wrote:

> We had a similar problem, and it turned to be tcsh.  tcsh doesn't
> support files over 2GB it seems, so we ended up having to convert all of
> our scripts over to bash.

I simply pulled down the latest TCSH sources, and recompiled for large
file support.  I replaced the installed tcsh with the compiled tcsh.

See
http://bioinformatics.org/pipermail/biodevelopers/2002-May/000026.html

This should be a far simpler solution than converting all your shell
scripts.  It would introduce far fewer bugs I would think, than a port.

Hopefully the distro vendors (RH and others) in question will catch the
hint and make sure that half of their distro is not missing the right
compilation options.  Shells, editors, file managers, etc all need this.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Scalable Informatics LLC
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com