Opteron Large Memory Compilers?

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Fri Jun 13 16:56:28 EDT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Chris Oubre wrote:

>      We are looking into the feasibility of using Opterons in on
> cluster.  One major issue we had when we benchmarked on them was the
> lack of large memory support in the compilers we used.  We tried to run
> large memory jobs on an Opteron using the Portland Compilers and found
> that it would not compile jobs larger than 2 Gigs.

Could you please clarify?
 Does the compiler not compile and link an executable larger than 2GB, or
 Does the program fail when dynamic libraries put the total size >2GB, or
 Does the executable not work with a data set larger than 2GB?

It must be the last, since even the most bloated programs don't go much
over 100MB of compiled code.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993