Configuring OpenSSH 3.5p1

John Harrop johnh at sjgeophysics.com
Thu Jun 12 13:31:38 EDT 2003

I'm currently building a new cluster which unlike the older, more
isolated one will be using OpenSSH.  How are others configuring their
ssh?

I've been trying to keep the system in the 'recommended' settings of the
O'Reilly SSH book but I'm having trouble getting automatic password
authentication.  (The passphrase authentication is fine.)  For example,
ssh-agent handles the passphrase fine, but I can't seem to get
/etc/shosts.equiv or .shosts to work with the password.

Has the security tightened up on OpenSSH since the book?  Assistance
would be appreciated - I have a feeling I'm missing something simple in
all the ssh options, files and permissions!

Cheers,

John Harrop
Geologist, GIS Manager
SJ Geophysics Ltd