Slackware Beowulf Cluster

Aaron Collier collier at cs.widener.edu
Wed Jun 11 19:15:30 EDT 2003

Hello,

I have actually been working on a cluster-oriented Linux distribution
based on Slackware (actually version 8.1) called WUBCOS (Widener
University Beowulf Cluster OS).  I have been running the basic
distribution on an eight node cluster I built as part of my senior project
in computer science and mathematics.  Unfortunately, the distribution
isn't very refined (but still stable) as I no longer have access to
adequate resources to continue development because I just graduated.

WUBCOS is currently optimized for my particular hardware but I can tell
you the software I have installed at the moment.  I compiled a custom
kernel and actually enabled hyper-threading (simultaneous multithreading)
which works fairly well despite what others may say.  I upgraded the
kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.20 to add proper DMA support and HT
support, but Slackware 9 includes kernel 2.4.20 (no source though).  Since
the member nodes don't have CD-ROM drives I wrote a small network-based
remote node installation script that mounts an NFS partition hosted on the
main server simply containing a copy of the Slackware installation CD and
custom packages I created.  I actually had to create a custom root disk
set which includes the install script and the necessary nic drivers.  I
also have been using channel bonding (the default round-robin packet
distribution scheme) and haven't had any problems with stability.  The
cluster uses both MPICH-MPI and LAM-MPI although MPICH has been patched to
work more efficiently with Open PBS which is used as the only batch queue
system.  Also included is a precompiled ATLAS package which has been
optimized for the Pentium 4 Xeon with threaded libraries.  I also
installed PVFS which works well enough.  The distro uses NIS to distribute
user information, DNS for standard name resolution, and NFS to distribute
user home directories and actually /usr/local as well (people will argue
this isn't good but it works for me).  I also configured NTP because time
travel was becoming all too common on the nodes.  I also went through all
of the system initialization scripts (located in /etc/rc.d) and disabled
all unnecessary system servies (like httpd) although these files differ
for the head node and the regular compute nodes.

Speaking in terms of a general installation, since I had a large hard
drive I installed everything (about 2GB) on the head node (actually I
removed the sudo package).  For the installation of the member nodes I
made custom tagfiles so a node installation only requires about 750MB.
What you need to install will probably depend upon your anticipated use
for the cluster.

Configuring Slackware to operate efficiently in a cluster environment can
be fairly time consuming depending upon your needs but it is certainly
well worth the effort.  I am glad someone else recognizes the merits of
the Slackware distribution.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Bye,
Aaron Collier

P.S. If anyone would like to hire me then please send me an e-mail :o)