PS2 cluster

Ken Chase math at velocet.ca
Wed Jun 11 16:19:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:04:15PM +0200, Franco A. Bignone's all...
  >> From: "John Hearns" <jhearns at freesolutions.net>
  >> To: <beowulf at beowulf.org>
  >> Subject: PS2 cluster
  >> Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:23:38 +0100
  >>
  >> I remember when the PS2 first came out,
  >> ideas were kicked around on the Beowulf list about
  >> clustering them and using the vector units in them
  >> (and using Firewire networking)
  >>
  >> Looks like NCS are actually doing this, using the PS2 Linux kit
  >> and Ethernet:
  >>
  >> http://access.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Releases/05.27.03_Playing_th.html
  >>
  >> Wow!
  >
  >Right, if I have understood correctly they have set a 70 node cluster,
  >plus some connecting hardware for a price tag of 20,000 $. Not bad.
  >Is it effective in price/performance ? It seems nice route to follow
  >if your software make use of the VU, even if I don't have clear how
  >much is difficult to set it up correctly.
  >
  >FB
  >.

Every msg is slightly different that you sent to the list, especially
the . at the end.

are you trying to do something here? Perhpas your have notMeToo set in your
beowulf-l mailman prefs. Go visit the mailman URL for this list please.

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, Canada
Wiznet Velocet DSL.ca Datavaults  24/7: 416-967-4414  tollfree: 1-866-353-0363