PS2 cluster

Franco A. Bignone abignone at
Tue Jun 10 17:04:15 EDT 2003

> From: "John Hearns" <jhearns at>
> To: <beowulf at>
> Subject: PS2 cluster
> Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:23:38 +0100
> I remember when the PS2 first came out,
> ideas were kicked around on the Beowulf list about
> clustering them and using the vector units in them
> (and using Firewire networking)
> Looks like NCS are actually doing this, using the PS2 Linux kit
> and Ethernet:
> Wow!

Right, if I have understood correctly they have set a 70 node cluster,
plus some connecting hardware for a price tag of 20,000 $. Not bad.
Is it effective in price/performance ? It seems nice route to follow
if your software make use of the VU, even if I don't have clear how
much is difficult to set it up correctly.